J. MATTHEW BERNER
Attorney at Law
J. Matthew Berner advises clients regarding local, state, and federal permitting and regulatory matters involving the development, construction, and operation of utility-scale renewable energy projects including compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, the National Historic Preservation Act, and related laws. Mr. Berner regularly assists clients with negotiating and drafting contracts for the acquisition, development, construction, operation, and sale of wind and solar projects.
Mr. Berner also advises owners, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and design professionals in drafting and enforcing commercial construction contracts as well as prosecuting and defending mechanic’s liens and surety bond claims.
Mr. Berner maintains a national practice litigating business, construction, renewable energy, real estate, and employment law matters in state and federal courts across the country and at arbitration. Mr. Berner has served as lead trial counsel in commercial matters in more than twenty states including the successful prosecution and defense of multi-million dollar claims.
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D.
- Hamline Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor
- University of Minnesota, B.A.
- State of Minnesota
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- Hennepin County District Court Judge Myron S. Greenberg (Retired)
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association